More than meets the eye – Electrical Infrared Thermography
Whether we feel it or not, all electrical and mechanical equipment radiates heat. Infrared surveys can help keep small issues from turning into huge problems. Choosing to have a thermography scan completed can be a wise decision for your business as nearly 25% of all electrical failures are attributed to faulty electrical connections.
Repairing loose connections — easily found with thermographic scans — could only cost your business a few hundred dollars. If left undetected however, that same connection could result in a fire that may cost you injury, loss of life, damage, or a total loss of business.
How do infrared thermography cameras work?
Infrared cameras that are sensitive to electrical and mechanical equipment detect and measure temperature differences between surfaces. When a piece of equipment is scanned, the cameras convert the information and display it as an image visible to the human eye, which allows the scanner to see a heat signature. Anything that registers higher than "normal" for that type of equipment may indicate a potential problem.
Thermography scans can benefit your business by:
- Reducing the risk of an electrical fire
- Reducing the risk of an unplanned electrical outage
- Identifying priorities for planned maintenance
- Determining if the elements and systems have been properly installed and not damaged
- Reducing downtime
- Reducing the risk of equipment failure
- Increasing safety
- Reducing liability exposure of designers and installers
- Improving system performance
- Reducing construction schedule delays
- Saving money
For more information on infrared thermography scans, please contact your SECURA Risk Management Consultant.