Remember insurance for your college-age kids

August 08, 2019 | SECURA Insurance

You've bought the dorm fridge, rented the loft, and filled out the financial aid paperwork. Sending a child off to college can be a hectic time. But as you're crossing tasks off of your to-do list, take a moment to check in with your insurance agent. 

It's always good to let your agent know about the big changes in your life. He or she can help make sure your family stays protected and maybe even point out some new savings opportunities. 

Driver away from home

Notify your insurance company or agent if your student is moving, with or without a car. Your premium may go down if your child moves away and doesn't take a car. 

Ask about good student discounts too. SECURA policyholders can get a discount for any full-time student who maintains a 3.00 GPA or higher – even college students! 

Protection from light fingers

In a casual dorm environment, students sometimes gain a false sense of security. They prop doors open or wander down the hall "just for a second" for a quick conversation. By the time they come back, their computer or iPad is missing. 

Read more: Collge dorm theft prevention

If your child is away at school, your homeowners or renters insurance may provide protection in case their things are stolen. Take time to photograph your child's high-value belongings, and write down serial numbers so you can report anything that goes missing. 

Study up

Check with your insurance agent to ensure your child will be protected under your policy. Some insurance policies may only cover students living in dorm rooms. If you're a SECURA policyholder, your homeowners or renters insurance can protect any full-time student who is financially dependent on you, whether your child lives in a dorm or an off-campus apartment. 

Talk to your insurance agent about your coverage and the best way to protect your college student.