Reduce Work Comp costs with a proactive approach to treating injuries
When injuries happen on the job, they can turn into expensive claims, ultimately driving an employer's Work Comp insurance premiums higher. There are, however, ways to keep costs in check. The key is taking action before non-emergency work injuries become insurance claims.
Value-added features offered by select insurance companies, such as SECURA's Nurse Hotline, connect employees hurt on the job with registered nurses via a 24-hour phone line. The goal of the service is to provide workers with immediate answers to the best way to treat their non-emergency injuries. These minor strains, sprains, and such respond well to simple treatments. That means no visit to the ER or a battery of expensive diagnostic tests.
The rewards of Nurse Hotline extend to both employers and employees.
Benefits to the employer:
- Reduced claims. Many injuries reported to the hotline can be treated simply with self-care methods. This translates into no hospital visit and no claim.
- Reduced costs. When claims are reduced in both number and size, premiums typically follow.
- Reduced lost time. When injuries are treated immediately, workers stay at work or return to work sooner.
- Expert guidance. Highly skilled medical professionals are providing answers. No more supervisor judgment calls or over-treating injuries.
Benefits to the employee:
- Instant care. Injured employees get sound medical guidance immediately.
- No stress. A skilled independent medical professional advises employees on treatment.
- Less travel. A registered nurse provides immediate medical guidance so the employee knows whether an injury can be self-treated or needs medical attention. Plus, with the addition of telemedicine in 2020, when appropriate, some cases can be referred to a video or phone call with a physician*. Eliminating the need to travel and spend time in an urgent care or emergency room facility.
- A true benefit. Employees will see such hotline as an extension of the benefits package a company offers.
A proactive approach focusing on early assessment of work injuries can have a significant impact on reducing a company's insurance claims. However, in order to reap the benefits, organizations must be partnered with insurance providers that offer access to these value-added features, and employees must use them.
For more information about the benefits of Nurse Hotline, view a short video.