Insurance coverage you should have for your sporting vehicle

June 27, 2019 | SECURA Insurance

Whether you are hitting the course in a golf cart or heading for the trails on your ATV, accidents can happen. Make sure you are covered. 

Golf carts, ATVs, utility vehicles, side-by-sides, and UTVs are all considered sporting vehicles and should be insured. 

How you use your sporting vehicle affects what type of coverage you need. The following coverages are common for sporting vehicles, and some are even required depending on where you live. 

Bodily injury liability

If you cause an accident with your sporting vehicle that injures another person, this coverage helps pay for their medical expenses, lost income, and pain and suffering due to their injuries. This coverage also helps pay for your legal fees if you are sued over the accident. 

Property damage liability

This coverage is like bodily injury liability except it covers the cost of any damage you cause to another person's property. 

Medical payments

The medical payments coverage pays for any medical expenses incurred by you or your passengers. This includes expenses like ambulance transportation, surgeries, and hospital stays. 

Uninsured/underinsured motorist

If you are riding your golf cart or ATV and are injured by someone else who doesn't have insurance, or not enough insurance, this coverage pays for your expenses for injury or other incurred costs. 

Read more: 5 camping safety tips you should follow

Property coverage


Collision coverage pays to repair any damages to your vehicle resulting from a collision. This is often a required coverage for people who are financing or leasing their sporting vehicles. 


Comprehensive coverage pays for damage to your vehicle that isn't caused by a collision. This includes things like theft, fires, and vandalism. 

To learn more, contact your insurance agent for a quote, or find an agent near you.