5 simple steps to conserve water and save money
April 21, 2021 | SECURA Insurance
The average American family uses more than 300 gallons of water at home each day, according to the EPA. In some communities, this water use is straining the limited supply.
By incorporating some simple water conservation efforts, you can reduce not only your community’s dependence on a limited supply, but also save energy and reduce your utility bills.
What can you do?
- Use the dishwasher. Contrary to popular belief, a dishwasher is more efficient than washing by hand when it is run with a full load.
- Keep a pitcher of water in the refrigerator. A lot of water is wasted when you run the faucet until it is cool.
- Watch for leaks. Household leaks can waste more than 10,000 gallons of water per U.S. family every year. That is enough for more than 270 loads of laundry!
- Turn off the faucet when brushing your teeth. You can save 3-5 gallons of water each time you do.
- Use a rain barrel. Not only does it conserve tap water, natural rain water is better for plants because it is void of salt, sediments, and fluoride that often are found in treated water.
Learn more water conservation tips and tricks here. And remember, every gallon of water has to be pumped and filtered prior to coming through your faucet. Do your part to improve our world and your wallet.